Friday, September 9, 2011

Saying Goodbye to a Wonderful Woman

On Monday, Dan's grandma passed away. Since Dan and I have been married, I've thought of Curt and Lois as my grandparents, as well. They are such wonderful people and have always made me feel part of the family. Although Lois had been ill, the news of her death came as quite a shock. We've been in the Minneapolis area since Wednesday to visit the family, and we had her funeral yesterday. We will miss her dearly, and it is very hard to see Curt in such a state of mourning. They had been married for 58 years, and his whole world has been turned upside down by the loss of his bride.

This was also the first funeral we've attended where Toby is able to understand a bit of what is happening. Unless I'm forgetting something, the last funeral we attended was for my grandpa in 2008--Toby was just 15 months old at the time. This week, he's had many questions about death, going to heaven, and about the casket. (We didn't want the kids to see Great Grandma's body in the casket, and I think we were successful in that--however, Toby wondered what that big box was all about and what was in it.) How do you explain to a four-year-old that when we die, our bodies remain, but our spirits live, and those who loved Jesus go to heaven (even though their bodies are buried in the earth)? I answered his questions as truthfully and simply as possible, but I know he is still confused, and I'm not sure how much more detailed I should get.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures we have of Grandma Lois. We will dearly miss this woman!

 Our wedding day.

Lois and Curt with Toby at two months old. 

Lois with Zach at 3 weeks old.

1 comment:

LeroyLime said...

awwww, it's so hard losing loved ones. Sending big hugs to you and your family!! You wrote a very lovely blog post Michelle.