Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Week for the Pigs

So, last Saturday I ran in my big race and posted all the pictures...and then became horribly sick. My whole body was aching, I had an awful headache, I was coughing, sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, and the works. Saturday night I came down with a fever and spent the night alternating having the chills and hot flashes. I don't remember the last time I felt this terrible! Well, I was having all the symptoms of the H1N1 (swine flu) virus, so I went to see the doc. He said that the swine flu was going around the area, and that is probably what I have--but they are no longer testing people with symptoms because it takes too long to get the results back and they aren't doing anything for treatment anyway.

Unfortunately, my entire family caught the virus. Dan started to get sick on Wednesday, and the kids started showing symptoms during the week, too. I thought I was getting better by Wednesday night, then was hit full force again on Friday. I went back to the doc--had a chest x-ray--I have a bronchial infection as a result of the swine flu. So now I'm on antibiotics, and also prednisone since this whole thing has flared up my asthma symptoms. The good news is that even though we all have colds now, we are all slowly healing--and I think it's even safe to go out in public again after a week of seclusion!

On another note, we had Zach's well-baby appointment the week before (maybe that's where I picked up the virus?). Zach is 4 months old now and just over 16 pounds, and just under 25 inches. That's about the 75th and 55th percentiles, respectively. The kid won't be accused of having a big head, though, as his noggin is just in the 35th percentile! He is a very happy boy, and was all smiles for Dr. Linck. Zach even laughed for the first time this week, despite being sick. He giggled at Toby, who was throwing a small toy in the air and trying to catch it. I love my boys and hope they will be completely healthy again soon!

No comments: