Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mrs. Lead Foot

I'll admit, I have always had a tendancy to speed on the highway. For the past 5 years, however, I've tried to discipline myself to stay within 5 mph of the speed limit. I've stretched it several times, sure, but so far hadn't been caught since my freshman year of college...until this month! Three weeks ago, I was passing someone, looked ahead and saw a highway patrol vehicle, and sure enough, I was speeding! When I looked down, I was going 6 mph over the limit, but the patrolman said he clocked me at 13 mph over. He was gracious and knocked my ticket down to saying I was 5 mph over.

Enter today. After a very stressful morning with my son, who is refusing to nap lately, I was on my way into town for an appointment. I looked ahead, saw a cop, and sure enough, I was speeding--this time I was gping 64 mph. Oh well, not too bad, I thought. After all, it was a 55 mph limit--or so I thought! There was a small stretch that had a 40 mph limit, and apparently I was still driving in it! Again, the highway patrolman was gracious to me, and knocked my speed down by quite a bit. Thankfully, speeding tickets are relatively cheap in this state, but even so, it's time to concentrate on staying within the speed limits!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

ha! i know that stretch that is only 40 mph, it comes out of nowhere. luckily i have never been pulled over. its hard for me here though, i got so used to the speed limit being 75 that i drive more towards 80 and down here its never faster than 70. slow down i keep telling myself. patrick got pulled over one time but the trooper asked him if he was military, he said yes active duty air force and the cop just said have a good day. pretty cool :)

Kate said...

Drive 55 everywhere (except if the limit is under 55)!! It will not only save you money on ticket fees and higher car insurance, it will save you on gas, big time!! I'm glad the policemen gave you some grace. Both of them must have been really bored to pull you over for just speeding a little bit.