My friend Katie tagged me to write 10 things I love about the place I live. Here’s my list, in no particular order. Enjoy reading, then consider yourself tagged, too!
1. Peace and quiet—I like to visit big cities, but I’m a small-town girl at heart. Give me the wide open spaces and a yard where I can look into the sky and actually see the stars.
2. Dairy Queen—Nearly every town, whether the population is 100 or 100,000, has one. We’re lucky to have one that is open year-round—yes, I love my ice cream, even in sub-zero temperatures!
3. Family—I’m loving being near family here! Granted, it’s still a five hour drive to see them, but it’s much closer than other places we’ve lived.
4. Flat land—Yes, you read that right. Mountains are beautiful to look at, but I’m just not a heights person!
5. Outdoor activities—We may suffer through bitter cold winters, but when the weather’s nice, everyone is outside. Grilling out with the neighbors is always fun!
6. Northern Lights—Absolutely and eerily beautiful!
7. Long summer days—I realize summer days are longer than winter days for everyone, but up here, summer days feel like vacation. I’ve been out of school for several years now, but I always feel like I’m on summer break during these months!
8. No rattlesnake derbies—What is it about the South and rattlesnake shows? We have rattlesnakes up here, too—we just don’t see the need to pile them up and watch them race each other out of the circle!
9. Snow—I’ll admit, I get sick of seeing the snow on the ground after about five or six months, but there is something so pure and beautiful about freshly fallen snow.
10. Low crime—Sure, there’s crime everywhere, but the crime rate here is much lower than some other areas in the states.
Friday, May 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love the list, but I just to set the readers straight about one thing...I have to disagree with you about the South and Rattlesnake connection. I am a Southern girl, through and through and I have never even seen a rattlesnake in the wild, much less been interested in watching them race. In fact, I have never met anyone who did that and neither has Aaron. You must have picked that one up in Mississippi.
I always love hearing about where people live. Yes, in the Air Force, 5 hours a good distance to be away from family--that is very close! And about the flat land, I have a friend from Kansas who loves the wide open spaces, as well. She says that mountains and lots of tall trees make her feel chlostrophobic (sp??). It's so funny how different we all are and I love seeing the perspectives we all have about the world around us. I have never been to the upper midwest and I would love to come up and see you guys someday! All of those things sound really cool!
Post a Comment