Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sorry, Dr. Sears

As you may have read on a previous blog, I am trying to wean Toby of night nursing and get him to sleep through the night. I have nearly the whole collection of baby books by pediatrician Dr. Sears, and I think he has great advice on many areas of child rearing. One thing he advocates is "attachment parenting," and not letting your baby "cry it out" alone. I have tried nearly everything in his Baby Sleep Book, but Toby still wasn't sleeping through the night.

Dr. Sears says you can let your baby cry it out, just not alone--hold him while he cries. Lately, though, I've found that holding Toby at night while he's upset only gets him worked up even more than he already is (unless, of course, I nurse him). In the past week, I've finally tried to "toughen up," and let him cry in his crib. Some nights it goes well, and other nights are still very trying, but overall it's getting better. Toby usually wakes up around 11 p.m. now, and I nurse him then, but then he knows it's time to go back to sleep in his crib. He usually will sleep from 11 to 7, which actually gives me 8 hours of glorious sleep!

Sorry, Dr. Sears--I tried!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Books are great, but sometimes you have to write your own!! Being a parent is difficult at times like this, but you just keep on praying that God will give you (and Dan) grace as you make decisions like this.