Sunday, June 29, 2008

Homemade Ice Cream

When Dan and I were in Target four and a half years ago to register for our wedding , I was adamant that we "needed" an ice cream maker. Growing up, making homemade ice cream was a family event--a ton of fun, and yummy, too! Even now, my parents get out their ice cream maker whenever we visit them. So of course, I thought Dan and I needed one--it was almost a prerequisite for our upcoming marriage!

I am ashamed to admit that after all the fuss I made over this, tonight was the first time we made ice cream together! Our poor ice cream maker has traveled with us through four moves in as many years, each time making its new home in the back corner of a new kitchen cupboard, silently begging to be brought out the darkness and put to work. So tonight, after more than four years, we finally used our "new" ice cream maker and made some delicious chocolate ice cream! We even let Toby stay up late tonight so he could have some, and he giggled with every bite we gave him, knowing he was getting spoiled!


For any readers who have an ice cream maker, here is an awesome recipe:

Grandpa's Chocolate Ice Cream
2 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1 can evaporated milk
12 oz. chocolate syrup
1/2 gallon milk

Mix everything together and freeze in ice cream freezer, according to machine directions.

As you can see, it is definitely not low-calorie, but it is very rich in yumminess! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh has to have homemade icecream every year for his b-day...
I like it too. =)