Friday, June 6, 2008

Toby's first night without me

After reading my headline, you may have thought I had a fun overnight getaway--I only wish that was the reason Toby was missing me on Wednesday night.

Toby came down with the stomach flu on Monday, poor boy, but he was better by Tuesday morning. By 6 p.m. Wednesday, however, I had caught his bug and spent the rest of the night trailing between bed and the bathroom. Thankfully, we were at my parents' house when all of this happened, and my parents were a heavenly blessing to me that night. They took care of Toby for me all evening so I could rest, and they put him to bed that night as well.

When parents spend their first night away from their child, I imagine most of them worry all night about how their child is faring. Because I was still in the house, I was able to hear firsthand how Toby was doing without me--and it was not good. I first heard him crying when my mom put his pajamas on, but soon he was quiet again and, I assumed, drinking his bottle. A couple of hours later, I heard more crying, but as sick as I was, I was able to tune him out, knowing that he was okay with Mom and Dad, even if he was sad. By 2 a.m., though, Toby was awake again, and inconsolable. He didn't want Grandma, didn't want Grandpa, and didn't want his bottle--he wanted Mommy! I couldn't stand listening to it anymore, and brought him to bed with me the rest of the night.

Needless to say, Toby is not ready for Dan and me to have an overnight trip away from him! And to be honest, although I would like the freedom sometimes, I truly am not ready to leave him, either--I am quite attached to my precious Toby! I would like to shout out many, many, endless thanks to my parents for all of their help as I have been ill!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

i know that feeling melissa had her first ever sleepover with her cousins last night and even though we knew she was happy and in great care we were worried sick all morning and went first thing this morning to pick her up. needless to say she was more ticked off with us for making her leave so early :) but it was tough and we felt so lonely

Kate said...

It was kind of hard for me to leave Jack when he was little, too. It got much easier when we added the twin girls to our family! Sometimes we all need a break!