Friday, October 3, 2008

Salsa, anyone?

I spent most of the afternoon and all of the evening preparing and canning 28 pints of salsa--and I am now exhausted! My grandma has a garden and gave me nearly 20 pounds of tomatoes--really generous of her! I feel like I am becoming an expert in canning--since August, I have canned peaches, jam, and four different types of salsa. Because I am trying to eat healthier, I canned the peaches in 100% white grape juice (less sugary than syrup), and my jam was made purely of fruit and fruit pectin (doesn't taste quite as sweet as store-bought, but still yummy). And salsa--well, that's loaded with veggies, and a minimal amount of sugar, so it is also healthy--if only the chips I ate with it were healthy too, it would be perfect!

In case you are wondering, I am back on track this week with my goals. Tuesday, I swam, and today I went for a walk outside. Yesterday, I did another FitTv workout--the show's "info" said it would focus on inner thighs, which is my second largest problem area (my stomach is the first). The workout didn't seem that tough yesterday, but I sure can feel a burn in my inner thighs today! I will definitely be doing that workout again! I've been drinking plenty of water all week, and although I haven't taken the time to write down my foods, I have been pretty good about eating healthy and keeping portions down (if you don't count the cookies and pumpkin ice cream I had yesterday!).

1 comment:

Kate said...

yummy!! i love salsa!