Tonight I went bowling with a group of about 30 girls (and one guy). I have never been great at this sport, although I do enjoy an occasional trip to the bowling alley. Since I don't bowl often, I rented the shoes, and I used one of the bowling alley's many neon-colored balls. When my first turn came, I grabbed my ball, took my starting position, and rolled the ball down the lane. However, I twisted my wrist as I let go of the ball, and my ball did not go where I intended. Instead of getting a strike, I knocked down only two pins. Although I was on target for part of the game, there were many frames where I twisted my wrist, and the ball went off course. I finished the game with 93 points (out of a possible 300). Several people did much better than I, but nobody had a perfect score at the end of the night.
Reflecting on this, I realize that my Christian faith can be much like a game of bowling. Like the neon ball, I sometimes feel like I'm in the spotlight as a Christian--people are always watching to see if I live the way I talk. I can be heading straight towards my target (Jesus) for awhile, but I often twist suddenly and find myself heading toward another direction--towards destruction. If I lean on Jesus, he will keep my path straight, but I often get distracted. Yes, I love Jesus and I live for Him, but when it is all said and done, nobody has a perfect score--nobody but Jesus.
Thank you, Lord, for your mercy and grace where I falter and fail.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment